Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A Memorable Experience

Y'all, I got nothin' this week. Blame it on a busy weekend, but I have nothing profound or deeply spiritual for you today. After a little consideration, I have decided to tell you a story. A true story. This really actually for real happened to me...

My family and I went on a missions trip to Jamaica about two years ago with Price Harris Ministries. Our first evening there, the team gathered together and, after briefing us, our leader told us to pray that God would give each of us a memorable experience. Something we could tell others about for the rest of our lives. So I prayed and the very next day, God gave me that memorable experience.

It was a gorgeous sunny day and we went out on the streets of the city to tell people about Jesus. My family sang for a while to draw a crowd and then one of the preachers got up to speak. When he was finished, everyone split up to pass out tracts and talk to people one on one. I walked across the street with some of the ladies from our team and then it happened. All of the ladies were off talking to different people and a police officer approached me. 
"Is everything okay over here?" he asked.
I was all by myself and had no clue what this was about or if we were in trouble or something. So I simply said, "Yes, everything is fine."
"Where are you from?"
"We are from the United States," I answered.
His next question was wholly unexpected. "Are you single or married?"
I was startled and wondered why he would ask such a question. I figured I should probably just tell the truth so I said, "Single".
He didn't stop there. "How old are you?"
Oh, boy. This was starting to get awkward. "I am eighteen," I told him.
"That is legal age to be married."
"WHAT?!"
"Eighteen. Eighteen is legal age to be married." 
"Uh...o-kay." It was really hard to tell what he was thinking behind his sunglasses, but I wasn't liking where this conversation was headed.
"So...do you want to get married?"
Seriously? I laughed, nervously. "Yes. One day I would like to get married." 
"You want to marry me?" He was grinning now.
I laughed maybe a little too much at that. "No!" I told him.
"Why? Because I am black?"
Oh, great. Now he thinks I'm racist. I gave the best answer I could. "No...I just don't know you."
He leaned forward and lowered his voice, "Do you want to get to know me?"
Okay, time to change subject! I avoided the question altogether and asked instead, "Do you know Jesus?" 
I invited him to come to our concert and then took my leave. Before I turned to go, he touched my arm and said, "I like you." 

That, my friends, is the story of my first marriage proposal. Needless to say, I am still single. Next time I pray for a memorable experience, I may need to be a little more specific! 

I learned two things through this. First, never go anywhere without a man that you trust (like Daddy). Second, it's okay to say no. If he ain't the one, don't lead him on. Don't feel sorry for him and worry about hurting his feelings. Just say no and continue to guard your heart and keep it for one man. The man who will treasure it forever. 

One day, another man will propose to me and God will say, "This is the one I created you for." I will say "yes" for all the right reasons and then together we will share a lifetime of memorable experiences. 

And so with that in mind, I pray each of you will have a memorable experience as well.


1 comment: